Thursday, December 30, 2010

100 Portraits Project

Yesterday I posted this on my work blog, so you may have already seen it.

About two weeks ago, this guy connects with me via twitter and asks "@emilyhudspeth can I talk to you about participating in my #100portraits project? http://www.100portraits100days.com/ "

Sounded interesting so I said yes and he should email me so we can talk about it. At this point, I am thinking he wants me to do my usual role in a photo shoot. Typically, I arrive and do hair and makeup for the models. Sometimes I assist with wardrobe and stay on set to transition the model to a second look.

Chris contacted me and told me more about his project and I looked at his website and checked out this 100 days project. Now I get it. He wants me to be one of his 100 portraits, pretty cool. This is really taking me out of my comfort zone, see I am a behind the scenes gal. However, the project has me interested. I even see some familiar faces.

Now that I know what the project is, I say yes and we roughly schedule me in for a few days before Christmas, Thursday I think. That morning I am set to be #64. Just before I talk to Chris, I check to see who was #63. She has fire twirling hula hoops! How cool is that! No pressure or anything, but you are following the awesome fire hoop chick.

Chris calls me to set up a time and a few hours later he arrives right on schedule. Now this is my first encounter with him, we introduce ourselves and get right to setting up this shoot. I am so nervous. I mean, I am really in panic mode. The pressure is on. I tell Chris that I am a new gal to Richmond and I really appreciate him inviting me to be a part of the project. I also tell him that it is really important to me that this photo be "very me", meaning that I wanted people to look at the photo and say now that girl looks like alot of fun, she looks nice and like a fabulous hair/makeup artist. No pressure, Chris.

We pull out my giant kit for hair and makeup and Chris sets up table. He gave me great direction and even though I had so much anxiety leading up to the shoot, he really calmed me down and in a matter of minutes we had a few good shots.
That is the sign of a good photographer. They come in and get the job done. It took more time to set up and break down that it took to get a handful of good shots. Impressive.

Then, we start to have a little fun. Okay, we accomplished what we set out to do. Now, he tells me just pick up that mirror and pretend to do your hair and makeup. Now that I am relaxed and the pressure is off, the real me comes out. We laugh when he shows me the camera and I say, "yep, thats me!".

Emily Hudspeth: really serious about hair and makeup but pretty fun to work with.

So this is me. Number 64 in 100 portaits.100 days by Chris Owens Photo
Thanks Chris Owens Photo for pulling me out of my comfort zone and making me get a little silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment