Monday, November 15, 2010

Zoomba...Wait No!....Roomba, yeah thats it

We have two doggies. This story is about Charlie. More on Princess Jasmine later.
Charlie was adopted by Jeff about 6 months before we met. His mother was a prize Springer Spaniel who found herself in a situation after some romance with a neighborhood boy dog. The owner of Charlie's mother did not find out until pretty late in the game that she was with child(ren). Thankfully, she found someone to foster the puppies and find them a good home. Jeff, being the world-saver that he is, found Charlie and went all the way to Alabama to get him. We are still unsure of who or what is father is so we just go with "springer spaniel mix".

As you can see, Charlie is a beautiful dog. He is also extremely well behaved and trained since Jeff had him with Dick Russel, the worlds best dog trainer, from the time he was a pup. The only issue with Charlie is that he is a shedder. That is why Charlie is only allowed on the hardwood floors  and not on carpet or furniture in our house. In Dallas, I swept up so much dog hair at least once, but most days, twice a day. Jeff would brush him with the Furminator to help but still we had tumble weeds of white fluffy hair roaming around all the time <Gross>. I clearly did not have time for this!

Which brings me to my next topic: The Roomba! I called it the Zoomba for the longest time and occassionally (accidentally) still do.


When we put together our wedding registry, I added a Roomba. I really didnt think anyone would get it for us but I really wanted it. Well, luck be a lady, my mother (who also LOVES clean floors, now we know where I got it) gave us the Roomba at our bridal shower. I didnt take it out of the box until we moved into this house since it had to be moved across many state lines.

The first weekend we were in the new house, Jeff and his bff (Andy) took out the Roomba and got that baby set up on the charger. I went on with my business and really didnt think much else about it. That afternoon, I took Jasmine and Charlie for a little walk around the neighborhood. When I came back in thru the back door, I hear something scooting around and was kind of freaked out, thinking someone had snuck into the house while I was gone. All three of us followed the noise and were fascinated to find the Roomba just going to town on these floors.

Charlie is terrified of it and tries to hide from it, still . Jasmine alternates between chasing it around and running from it. Now that she has has about 2 weeks to get used to it, she can get on the couch and tune it out. The first day I saw it, I followed it around for about 20 minutes watching it, I dont think that is the point. Now, I am getting used to it. Everyday it is scheduled to get to work at 1:00. The first week it scared the hell out of me everyday. Now we are cool.

If you are considering a Roomba, I highly recommend them. I have not swept once since it has been doing the job! It is amazing, there is no dog hair and you can walk around barefoot on the hardwood floors with no trace of dirt/dust/hair. Make sure to get the one that you can schedule its daily cleaning. When it is done, it takes itself back to the charger, AMAZING! I still havent figured out if it goes for a certain amount of time or if it knows when the job is done or what. My favorite part is that it scoots right under the couch, the coffee table, our bed and all the other places that I would not be able to get to with the vaccuum. Also, it has no problem going from hardwood to carpet. There was a situation where it locked itself in the bathroom but we worked that out.

 If you havent seen a Roomba in action, come over or watch a video. Its pretty cool. I wish I could get Jasmine to do this, but she prefers to snuggle instead.
My next undertaking is the Shark floor steamer. I havent taken it out of the box yet because the floor is so clean from the Roomba. This is another story for another day.

NEWEST DEVELOPMENT!
It has taken me some time and some help from friends but our Roomba now has a name.......ROSARIO. We will go with Rosie for short. Rosie represents two famous TV house keepers, Rosie the robot maid from the Jetson's and Rosario Salazar from Will & Grace. 

Next on the naming list is the Kitchen-Aid mixer. Nell's mixer is Tiffany so that one is taken.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! So here is what I have wondered about the Roomba: how much dirt does it hold? It doesn't look big enough to hold very much. Oooh, an even better question... does it empty itself? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it runs everyday so it only has to pick up a days worth of dirt/dog hair. There is a tray that slides out of the bottom (like a bagless vaccuum cleaner) that you dump. It is big enough. Ill take some pictures of the whole process and post. I am truly amazed that this is the totally excited news that I have to report now. haha! The change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am jealous of your roomba.

    I DO LOVE MY STEAM MOP!

    though it makes me a little nauseated when i see what filth i am living in..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a Shark steamer for the floor. Is that a steam mop? I havent taken it out of the box yet but I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you used the steam mop yet? I am considering buying one but want to know if you like it first seeing as how you are the queen of floors:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, I have no used this steam mop. A detailed review, is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete