Saturday, November 20, 2010

What is in a name?

I have had a long term obsession with naming things. I tend to form relationships with certain things that I use alot or happen to get alot of joy out of.  I haven't been naming things lately, but I'm making an effort to get back to those things that fun girls do.  Or things I did when I was fun.

Nell and I both name things, I think we always have. She says she thinks she got this from me. I cannot remember where this came from or why it was started, but I am back to assigning proper names to everything. I am also famous for referring to almost anything as "The_____".  For example, we need to go to the Target, the Whole Foods, the Trader Joe's, the Home Depot, list goes on. I don't know where this came from either.  This one is for you J. Swayze: our first cars were "the Prizm" and "the Scoop"! How is that for a flashback.

To reminisce on the good old days, we had Tima (sounds like Tina). Tima was my car, the Altima. I got her  in 2003, when I was in beauty school. She drove me all the way to Los Angeles in 2004. We had some adventures on the West Coast: L.A., San Diego, Mexico (crossing the border both ways is really scary), Palm Springs, San Fran, Vegas (a few times), The Grand Canyon (twice), and more. She brought me home in 2008, made many trips to Florida beaches before and after California, and then to Dallas in 2009. Sadly in March of 2010 on a cold and snowy day, I almost killed us both. Thankfully, after camping out for awhile in ICU, I went home but Tima was never seen again.  Sometimes, I swear I see her and even look for her California plates. Its like I'm convinced she just left me and is really living a new life with a new family somewhere else. Its sad really. I think that was the end of my naming things for awhile. We are now 8 months past my near death experience and I am picking up the pieces and moving on, trying to get back to my old self. She was fun, it would be nice to have her back.

Tima and I leaving Baton Rouge 9/04. Santa Monica bound.
Most recently I named  my Roomba. I had a hard time and had to turn to facebook to get some ideas. My mom's cousin, Norma, had asked "what was the robot maid's name on the Jetson's?". Rosie! I thought that would be a good name for her and she is a robot. Then my pal Susan had strongly voted for Rosario Salazar. Rosario was Karen Walker's maid on Will & Grace, a favorite show of mine. That is how the Roomba got her name: Rosario or Rosie for short. I think it fits and has multiple classic tv references. 
My next project is to name my KitchenAid mixer, our engagement gift from my dad and stepmom.  This was a big deal for me. My memories of my MawMaw Lena (dad's mom), pretty much all involved the kitchen and often that mixer.  Seeing it on the my counter makes me feel like I am a grown up and it also reminds me of happy memories baking cakes with MawMaw.  I am happy to have my very own mixer and hope that where ever MawMaw's special mixer went, that it is being taken care of and treated like the pride and joy it was to her.

aint she purty!
Nell named her mixer Tiffany (great name!).  What will mine be called? Maybe after I get a chance to use her more, she will speak to me. I am 8 months into a new car and she has no name. Im thinking that she needs time for her personality to shine thru.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog and love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena? Really? And you can't figure out what to name the mixer?

    And then there's Lena Horne, oh my goodness, stormy weather... Listen to that song, look at that blue mixer, and meditate on it.

    Lena | Name Meaning & Origin | Girl Name Lena | Baby Names WorldThe meaning of the name Lena is 'The bright one'. Uh....

    ReplyDelete