Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mirror turned Chalkboard

This was my Thanksgiving project. Long overdue to get done and long overdue to share. My bad. Most of what we have to share is baby G related (like registering and getting this damn chair ordered), so I thought I would break it up a bit.

You know that I am passionate about upcycling, repurposing or whatever you want to call refusing to throw stuff away. That is how this DIY headboard came to pass and so many other projects.
The backstory on this mirror goes like this....I bought these 2 mirrors for like $35 off Craigslist for my small studio space that I rented in Dallas (circa 2009). When I went to pick them up, the girl nonchalantly mentions that they have these obnoxious giant nails thru the wood framing all the way around. Since I was already there and I needed a mirror, I just took the damn thing.

Now these have been wrapped up in packing paper for 2+ years and schlepped from Dallas to our first house in Richmond and now here. Just like the wood in our shed that became the DIY headboard, I swore to the Dude that I would figure out some amazing and fabulously creative way to use them. It took me some time, but now that we are in our new house it came to me.

I decided to turn the smaller of the two mirrors into a chalkboard to hang in the dining room. After I hammered out the giant nails that were in the frame (I've got a pic of that from the 2nd mirror project that we did today), I taped off the edges and spray painted the chalkboard paint directly onto the mirror.
It was so easy! I did take a few coats. I think I did it 3 times, just make sure it was even. I let it dry about a half hour each time in between. 

 Each week, we have been taking my pregnancy progress photo and writing the number of weeks on the chalkboard. It also is a fun place to write our menu when we have people over for dinner. I am sure we will use it for all sorts of stuff!
We have been tracking the baby's progress with his size corresponding to fruits and veggies. I couldnt find a rutabaga that week:)

If you are a Pinterest person, I added this to my DIY decor Pinterest board. Its here if you want to  repin and save it for a future project.

See, told you so! Never doubt my creative vision. Today we put the 2nd mirror into action. It looks amazing, more to come on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment