Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rock a Bye Baby

In last week's post (tackling the registry and other to dos), I mentioned the search for the perfect chair. I can not tell you how thankful we were to finally make a decision on this and get it ordered. I am sure that our mothers, were ready for us to make a decision and move on. I know for sure one of them was:). I also know that if she is going to spend as much time as she wants in this chair, with this baby, she will be happy that we got a nice comfy one.

When I tell you that we spent more time in search of this chair than we did picking out our next car, I am totally serious. Chair shopping proved to be much more challenging than expected. From what I hear, you spend a lot of time rocking the sweet little ones in these chairs, so comfort is key.
What I learned on my journey is that even the ugliest ones available are also REALLY expensive. I decided that if I was going to buy anything, I wanted to not hate it.  We had looked at this Pottery Barn chair early on but had some sticker shock. Then, like I mentioned, as we kept looking we learned all chairs are expensive, even the ugly ones. We decided on the one in the above photo that I am glamorously "modeling" for you all. It will be coming in the below color.
All I wanted was an upholstered (not wooden or leather) chair that was semi-modern with clean lines that swiveled or rocked. It didn't have to recline or have an ottoman. I wanted to be able to sit in it before buying it, which made the Little Castle chairs not an option. A lot of folks recommended these but I wasn't dropping $500 on something I couldn't see in person. I liked the way they looked but I just couldn't commit.

So, assuming that I will rock more than one baby in this chair, and that I will continue to like it when these babies are older, we went for the Pottery Barn chair. We are really grateful that our parents help us with making decisions and purchases like this. If we didn't have them, we would probably just not have anywhere to sit.

Good thing we ordered it when we did because it takes about 10 weeks before the can deliver it. By the time the nursery furniture gets here, Jeff gets the room painted (more on that) and decorated, the rug gets here (oh, yeah, another story!), the chair will be here just in time for the baby. We also saved 10% by registering for a few items at Pottery Barn.

If you are looking for a giant leather chair that looks like a 400 lb, 80 year old man would rest comfortably thru an entire Sunday of football or a wooden rocker/glider chair built for a quilting granny, you should be able to find that in a single afternoon instead of weeks of searching.

I have a whole list of stuff to tell you about, what do you want to know next? I am thinking paint samples and our (super long) process of choosing an accent wall color will make for an interesting story. Ok, maybe not super interesting but it will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment