Thursday, April 25, 2013

These balls are famous or infamous. Whatever.

So far this week, I haven't cooked anything in bulk to freeze. Last week I was really on a roll but this week, not so much. Our CSA starts this weekend so that should inspire me to get cooking again. I guess my version of nesting is cooking in bulk. Good thing we got that freezer! I totally recommend the recipes that I shared in that post too.

It only took me asking about 7 million times but I finally got the recipe for those famous balls that everyone loves so much. Normally I am a the crockpot wizard around the house but this one is all Jeff. He got this recipe from his mom and is apparently handed down from a lady named Marian Gertman, who I believe was their neighbor when Jeff was little. Is that right, MIL?
*I have just been informed that this is not the neighbor that I was thinking of. That is a famous split pea soup recipe. I have never been a big fan of the split pea soup but this is really good. Would anyone like that recipe?

If you have enjoyed these delicious meatballs and wondered how to make them yourself, so that you don't have to wait for Jeff to do it, here you go....


Marian Gertman’s Meatballs

These are delicious!!!! Key is to cook them raw in the sauce.


Meatballs cooked in sauce:
1 pound ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1 Tbl. fresh parsley
1/2 tsp.garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

shape balls and cook in sauce for 3 hours

Any marinara sauce will do, store bought or homemade

These are great over pasta or you can make a fabulous meatball sub. I had my heart set on having the last 3 meatballs on the last sub roll for lunch yesterday and was devastated when I came home to find that the dude had taken it for himself for lunch. I went to Chipotle and inhale 3 tacos on their patio, then all was right with the world. When you make this, don't forget to invite this chick over to enjoy them with you:)
wet + dry ingredients just before baking..
And now for that amazing strawberry nut bread. This is my mom's recipe and it is amazing. Be prepared that you will pretty much immediately eat the entire loaf. This is great for breakfast. This recipe makes 2 loaves. I try to only make it when I can send one over for someone else to enjoy. I have made it for 2 friends who have had babies and it is a real big hit. I wouldn't suggest having me over if you have recently made this because I will inhale the entire thing before you can pour a cup of coffee. You have been warned. 


STRAWBERRY NUT BREAD
3 cups flour 4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. soda 1 ¼ cups cooking oil
1 tsp. salt 2 cups frozen, sliced strawberries, thawed 
1 Tbsp. cinnamon 1 ¼ cups chopped pecans
2 cups sugar

Sift flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.  Combine eggs, oil, berries and pecans.  Make well in center of dry ingredients.  Add liquid mixture, stirring just enough to moisten dry ingredients.  Pour into two greased 9x5x3 inch pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.  

1 comment: